Happy 15th of August to all fellow Indians.
While we celebrate and commemorate the many freedoms that we enjoy in our country, I have been also aware of the many areas where freedom has eluded us so far. Freedom from poverty, from racial biases, from social inequality, from religious dogmas and last but not the least, freedom from corruption and moral degradation.
Since the air these days is thick with Annaji’s movement (in a manner of speaking, though it captures a larger public sentiment), Lokpal and fight against corruption, I could not but reflect on the idea of freedom in this context.
… And the more I reflected, the more I got mixed up. At least initially, till I tried to look at my own confusions, passions, biases and motivations with complete honesty even if within the limitations of my own understanding.
Let me share how I see things today, and (departing from the tradition of this blog for this once) with all the objectivity and optimism at my command, suggest what I feel is the best way forward. Here I go with my version of truth…
I am against corruption.
I am against govt Lokpal Bill. I have been (hopefully) extensively informed on govt Lokpal by Anna Team and the many debates on the subject and so I am in a position to make up my mind.
However, I am unsure of Jan Lokpal Bill because there have been hardly any debates as to how it may or maynot contribute to reduction / eradication of corruption. Currently, I feel inadequate to take any stand on Jan Lokpal Bill. Unless, of course, I buy into the logic that any alternative to a bad govt Lokpal will automatically become a good Lokpal…
So, I conclude that it might be possible that fight against corruption ≠ fight for Jan Lokpal Bill.
I am with Anna Hazare.
I am with Anna Hazare on his fight against corruption.
I am with Anna Hazare on his stand that people need to stand up in fight against corruption.
I am with Anna Hazare and the people on their constitutional right to protest whichever way they want to do it provided it is non-destructive (to public property and interest) and non-violent.
So, I support all kinds of non-violent public action, including Anshan, Fast, Dharna, etc. in the fight for corruption but feel nothing if all this is only about Jan Lokpal Bill.
I am against the govt in the churlish, childish and often deceitful way in which it responds to Team Anna. It is definitely not becoming of a democratic Indian tradition we can be proud of.
However, I agree that whatever it is, supposed incompetence or questionable motivations, the govt does have the constitutional right and people’s mandate at this point in time to introduce its version of bill in the parliament. Having done so, the Anna movement pushing Jan Lokpal draft as it stands today is not against the govt but rather against the parliament.
So, I think pushing Jan Lokpal the way it is being done is a blackmail and undermines the institution of parliament.
Where does that leave me? Not in a very comfortable position, I must say. Cornered thus, I did the only three things which came to me – (1) I dwelled into the life and teachings of Gandhiji for inspiration and, possibly some insight, (2) I listened. I listened to all the diverse opinions that I could get on the subject, trying very hard to appreciate all and rejecting none, and (3) I tried to use my own free thinking for whatever it is worth.
Given above, even at the risk of speaking out of turn, let me suggest-
1. Annaji has captured the imagination of the country and rallied people against corruption. Use this opportunity to have a national debate across civil society sections and build an informed consensus on the Jan Lokpal draft. There are, currently, many good intentioned and learned objections to Jan Lokpal draft from many sections of civil society itself which need to be incorporated. This needs to be a civil society initiative and must be accomplished in a time bound manner…
2. Fasts as a tool have been used by many across the world to pressurize the ‘other party’. Gandhiji’s fasts were fundamentally different and unique because they were intended to influence (even pressurize) his ‘own people’, those he represented. He insisted that people must take moral responsibility for their own action before they earned a right to agitate against others. To Gandhiji, perhaps, ‘satya’ in ‘satyagraha’ came before ‘agraha’. I hope that Annaji, being a Gandhian should lead a movement (even fast for it) to ensure that more and more people of civil society across the country make a personal commitment to shun corruption in day-to-day life even if it meant making personal sacrifices and taking personal risks… In true Gandhian way, this will give the movement the power and resolve to move whatever mountains need to be moved in the fight for corruption.
I somehow believe that Gandhiji can be still relevant today and am convinced that if we do above two for next 6 months, not only a much better Lokpal Bill will be foregone conclusion but a much needed and bigger individual, social, political and constitutional transformation might be set to move.
I strongly feel that not only for our own sake, but given the position India holds today in the economic and geo-political equations of the world, we can once again provide insights and models for the world to follow.
Its once again time to redeem a pledge and make a tryst with destiny afresh.
Jai Hind!
Monday, August 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

A welcome change to see some constructive suggestions and positive solutions on this blog today - something which a satire do not intrinsically provide.
ReplyDeleteThat said, I feel Anna's fast is probably against his own yet unresponsive people in the parliament. The outcry is basically for our owns who represent us in the parliamentary democracy to take a moral position of what they do that impacts the people they represent. In any form of governance by the people and for the people, need to have that moral awakening.
Also, quite agree with you that Anna's Jan Lokpal bill is quite raw and needs to be debated more.
Jai Hind!
... Varun, thanks for sharing your views. I think you can take some credit (or blame!) for this entry being out of sync with the character of this blog. But only for this once! ... BTW, while watching the unfolding saga and talking to people, I am amused how little tolerance we have for a contrarian view point. I think its unfair to say that if you are not with Jan Lokpal you are with corruption... Anna saheb's movement has certainly evoked a lot of passion but we should not have passion blinding all well intended reason... This too is a lesson we can learn from Gandhiji and other great leaders of freedom struggle...
ReplyDelete